Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for support care?

You can make an enquiry or register for support care at or 01615219889.

What if I have a claim payment problem?

You can write or speak to our finance personnel on

How do I get a copy of my contract?

The copy of your contract can be sent to your home address or mail to you

Who are your clients?

Our clients are people with physical needs, Dementia, mental health issues and who needs be-friendly service.

How long is your service for?

The length of the service is subjected to the support needs, funding and review of support agreement.

How will I make a referral?

You can make a referral either on the phone or through our website.

Do I need to have social funding or pay private?

You support care can either be funded by local authority or private.

How do I make complaints?

You can make a complaint directly to the Registered manager Email/Phone and through the local Ombudsman.

How do I arrange home care for myself or family?

By contacting us through the website or W4U solutions office number, we have a dedicated team member that will support you through your process and enquiry.

Are your home care staff trained?

Our staff are professional workers with health social care qualification and care certificate training.

Are you registered to provide home care services?

We are registered to provide personal care, you can check our rating on CQC website.

Will I get the same carer on each visit?

W4U Solutions will try as much as possible to send the same carer to support you, but when we have the situation where the carer is on leave or sick. We will notify you before sending someone else to support you.